Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Saguaro National Park and Gates Pass

Cactus, cactus, cactus everywhere!

Me and the cactus!

For miles I could see the Saguaro cacti growing like tall trees throughout the landscape. The Saguaro National Park is a safe haven to protect the Saguaro cacti which only grow in a small portion of the United States.  How amazing to know that they can live to be up 200 years old.  It's a long process though as they only grow a few inches the first few years.

After taking some cactus pictures, we headed on up to Gates Pass to check out the view from the mountaintops.  As we turned the corner, I had no idea that this place would suddenly feel so much like home. The peace and quiet was so serene that I never wanted to leave!! I could have camped out and stayed on the mountains for days.

Although I was shaky at first, we managed to climb a few rocky cliffs and watch the sunset. The rock climbing made me homesick for KY.  As a child, I always loved climbing to the highest mountain I could just to see if I could make it to the top. I loved looking out down the holler on Fugate's Fork from the mountaintop. But climbing as a child was a lot easier!!

Coming down off the mountain was harder than going up as I didn't want to leave.  My feet slide on the graveled rocks a few times but my pride would not let me fall in front of Mike! LOL  :)  As we drove away, my heart sank a little.  My vacation was halfway over and we would be saying goodbye to Tucson in a couple of days.  Almost time for packing the van.....oh boy.
I made it to the top!


Mike just hanging out.


One more cliff to go..?


No comments:

Post a Comment