Monday, June 27, 2011

Grand Canyon

"I thought I read somewhere that the Grand Canyon was man-made...I'm pretty sure its man-made" - Ethan, Due Date movie

Grand Canyon (southside)
There are moments when the words will not come out to express the beauty or magic that you may feel.  My moment was seeing the Grand Canyon. As soon as we approached one of the hiking trails, I was blown away by the magnificant beauty of the canyon.  Miles upon miles of red rock and canyons below lay before my eyes. Again I felt lost as if I was on another planet.  I couldn't imagine that something this huge and extradornary existed on Earth.

I quickly grabbed my camera to take some pictures only to realize I had left the battery elsewhere.  Oh no! The best part of the trip and I've lost the battery? We walked back a few blocks to the parking lot to search the van.  Suddenly I remembered that I had placed the battery in Mike's backpack that he had been carrying the whole time. Thank goodness.

Our original plan for the Grand Canyon was to walk along the Sky Walk. Unforunately the park ranger informed us that the sky walk bridge was about 400 miles west on the northside of the canyon, close to Las Vegas. We were only viewing the southside. Amazing! The walk on the Sky Walk would have been awesome but our schedule was hectic enough.

 We trudged along with other tourists snapping photos.  We had to tackle a few just to get our picture taken at the Grand Canyon park sign. However, I was wishing for a moment of quietness just to relish in the beauty of the canyon.  A quiet moment seemed impossible when you are visiting one of the many natural wonders of the world during the hectic tourist season.

Mike and I at the Grand Canyon sign.
Even the animals get in on the act. We came across a squirrel who was relishing in all the attention from the tourists.  The park ranger had to drag him away from the guests as he refused to leave the hiking trail.  What a camera hog!


Mr. Showman Squirrel
 I am grateful that I got a lifetime chance to see God's amazing creation of the Grand Canyon. We now had to head back to Tucson and start packing Mike's stuff.....oh joy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment