Friday, July 1, 2011

Aliens & Caverns

Welcome to Earth...

Me and an Alien
After reviewing the map, we were so excited that Roswell, home of UFOs and aliens, was only an hour away from the Carlsbad Caverns. Unlike our trip to Flagstaff, AZ, Microsoft Maps got us there right on time as expected.  I wish MS Maps could have also told us that it was a waste of time.  I don't remember even seeing a McDonalds.  We spent nearly $20 going through a tiny musuem filled with newspaper clippings, manikins, and authors promoting their alien experience.  The best part of Roswell, besides leaving, was touring the local gift shops and grabbing a few postcards and souvenirs. I did get a few pics in at the musuem before we headed on down to the caverns.




Alien Autopsy
Before planning my trip to AZ, my Geology teacher, Maclom Sandler, insisted that I see the Carlsbad caverns, discovered by cave explorer Jim White in the early 1900s.  Carlsbad Caverns was much cooler than Roswell...literally! We took an elevator nearly 750 below the surface to see giant limestone and fossils from thousands of years ago.  The tour took about an hour.  But after 30 minutes, all the limestone and springs began to look the same.  The site was amazing and a I took quite a few pictures.  However, my amateur photography doesn't give justice to the underground beauty and wonderment of the natural forming sculptures.  I think what amazed me most was the miners who explored this place and spent countless hours building the park.  I hope that this place and other natural parks can continue to be preserved for the future of our children.  Our Earth is an Amazing Place! We should take better care of her and each other before we all are extinct.


Natural Limestone Stalagmite
Next stop....Houston? :( Almost home.
Giant Crystals

Limestone Stalacties

No comments:

Post a Comment